Sep 29, 2020
Pour la version française, allez sur: Baccalauréat en Éducation
The two programs at Faculté Saint-Jean prepare teachers to work in francophone schools and in French immersion programs. Students having successfully completed their studies will obtain a BEd and will be recommended for the Interim Professional Certificate.
- The 4-year program to students meeting admission requirements normally after completion of first-year university studies. The program consists of ★120. Credits from the first year of university are included in the ★120.
- The 2-year program (BED/AD) to holders of approved undergraduate degrees (BA, BSc or other). The program consists of ★60.
Teaching Certificate: Beginning September 15, 1990 all persons applying for certification as a teacher in Alberta will be subject to the following restriction on eligibility:
Except where the Minister of Learning decides otherwise, the Registrar for Alberta Learning shall not issue a teaching certificate to:
- a person who has been convicted of an indictable offence under the Criminal Code; or
- a person whom the Registrar has reason to believe should not be issued a certificate.
Applications for a teaching certificate shall be directed to the Registrar. As part of the application process, applicants will be asked whether they possess a criminal conviction. If the response is yes, the nature of the conviction and when and where they were convicted must be detailed.
The Registrar shall refuse to issue a teaching certificate to any applicant possessing an indictable criminal conviction. The Registrar may refuse to issue a teaching certificate to an applicant possessing a criminal conviction of a nature deemed unsuitable for teaching children or for any other reason. Applicants may appeal the decision of the Registrar to a Certification Appeal Committee established by the Minister. Appeals must be made in writing within 30 days of being advised of the Registrar's decision to not issue a certificate.
For additional information please contact Alberta Learning Professional Development and Certification Branch at (780) 427-2045.
Achieving the DELF « tout public » level B2 strong (70 % and a score no lower than 12.5 points out of 25 in the oral comprehension component and a score no lower than 18 points out of 25 in each of the other three components) or equivalent is a mandatory requirement for admission to field experiences (see Language test ).
The field experiences comprise three compulsory parts. The first part, EDU F 200 , includes six half-days in the classroom, usually in a group with other students to introduce the student to the Francophone or immersion context. The course also includes a series of seminars and thematic presentations at Faculté Saint-Jean. The second and third parts, "Stages I and II," consist of 13 weeks of practical experience in a school environment.
Normally the three compulsory parts must be completed at Faculté Saint‑Jean. Students registered in "Stages I and II" may be required to complete their practicum outside of Edmonton.
A field placement in the Edmonton metropolitan area may require travel up to a maximum of 75 kilometers from the Faculté Saint-Jean.
Students outside the province of Alberta may complete a Stage I or II course in their province of residence.
The four-year Education Program offered at Campus Saint-Jean allows students to develop the competencies necessary for teaching in French immersion and/or Francophone schools. Students also have the opportunity to take courses with a Community-Service Learning (CSL) component and this option can allow them to obtain a CSL certificate at the end of their program.
- To be granted the BEd degree students must maintain a GPA of 2.0 in ★120 credited to the degree.
- A student who has been assigned a grade of "W" or "NC" in a Field Experience course (EDU F 200 ; EDU S 420 , EDU S 421 , EDU S 421 , EDU S 471 ) is entitled to a second registration in this course subject to (3) and (4).
- Students are allowed only one "W" or "NC" in the sequence of their Field Experience courses. A student who receives a "W" or "NC" in a second Field Experience course is required to withdraw from the Education program at Faculté Saint-Jean.
- Students who receive a "W" or "NC" in "Stage I or II" must have the approval of the head of the Education section and of the Associate Dean (Academic) to reregister for that course.
- Students on probation for academic reasons may not register in "Stage I or II."