The Department of Paediatrics offers programs leading to the degrees of Master of Science and Doctor of Philosophy in Medical Sciences-Paediatrics (see Medical Sciences ).
Highly qualified candidates with an MSc or MD, who wish to proceed to a PhD will be considered.
Areas of research include:
- Aboriginal Health
- Cardiovascular Research & Thrombosis
- Clinical Trials, Evidence-based Medicine
- Respiratory Medicine
Inquiries about this program should be directed to the Graduate Administrator in the Department of Paediatrics at the above email address.
MSc Program: Candidates who wish to apply for the MSc program must have a BSc or MD degree with an admission GPA of at least 3.3 on the 4-point scale from the University of Alberta, or an equivalent qualification and standing from a recognized institution. The admission GPA will be calculated on the last ★60 of graded coursework completed, or on the equivalent of the last two years of full-time graded coursework.
PhD Program: Candidates who wish to apply for the PhD program must have an MSc degree or an MD degree (with significant research experience) with an admission GPA of at least 3.3 on the 4-point scale from the University of Alberta, or an equivalent qualification and standing from a recognized institution in Canada. The admission GPA will be calculated on the last ★60 of graded coursework completed, or on the equivalent of the last two years of full-time graded coursework.
International candidates, except those applying from the USA, are not accepted directly to a PhD program. These candidates may request a change of program category to a PhD program after 12 months in the MSc, upon recommendation from their committee.
Where applicable, applicants must provide proof of English Language Proficiency (refer to English Language Requirement ). Any one of the following is acceptable:
- the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL); the minimum acceptable score is 100 with at least 21 per section (Internet-based) or equivalent
- the International English Language Testing System (IELTS); the minimum acceptable score is 7.5 with at least 6.5 on each band
All other proof of English language proficiency will be evaluated on a case by case basis.
Applicants are also required to submit the following:
- Three letters of reference
- A letter of support from the proposed supervisor indicating their agreement to supervise and provide funding
- A current curriculum vitae
- A personal statement
Application deadlines are as follows:
Canadian Citizen and Permanent Resident Applicants
July 1 for September admission
November 1 for January admission
February 28 for May admission
April 30 for July admission
June 1 for September admission
October 1 for January admission
January 1 for May admission
March 1 for July admission
Financial assistance may be available through various University of Alberta awards as follows:
- Department of Paediatrics Recruitment Scholarship
- Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry Awards
- Faculty of Graduate Studies & Research Awards
- External funding agencies (AIHS, CIHR, HFSC, NSERC, WCHRI)
The Department of Paediatrics does not offer teaching assistantships. Financial assistance in the form of graduate research fellowship from supervisor operating funds is normally available to students in good academic standing. Further information will be provided upon request.