Dec 04, 2021  
University of Alberta Calendar 2020-2021 
University of Alberta Calendar 2020-2021 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Planning [Arts]

The School of Urban and Regional Planning educates students in the scientific, aesthetic, and orderly disposition of land, resources, facilities and services with a view to securing the physical, economic and social efficiency, health and well-being of communities. Planners work for all levels of government and in professional planning consultancies.

The School of Urban and Regional Planning in the Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences (Faculty of Science) offers a BA major in Planning and a BSc Specialization in Planning. Students interested in focusing on natural science elements of planning, including environmental management and the use of geographic information sciences, should consider the BSc Program (see Science Chart 5) and those interested in the aesthetic, economic, and social issues of planning should consider the BA program.

Major in Planning

Degree of BA

Students taking the BA degree with a major in Planning have a very structured program with many required courses. All of the following are required.

Year 1


  1. Students who are majoring in Planning cannot minor in Human Geography.
  2. Courses that count as senior level Planning courses include HGP 210 , HGP 211 , HGP 310 , HGP 315 , HGP 316 , HGP 317 , HGP 355 , HGP 381 , HGP 399 , HGP 401, HGP 410 , HGP 412 , HGP 485 , HGP 495 . Students cannot take more than ★48 in these courses.
  3. Students can take other EAS and HGP courses and these will not count towards the ★48 maximum allowed for the BA Planning Major.

Cooperative Education (Work Experience) Route

The Cooperative Education (Work Experience) Route gives students who have completed their third year of study in the BA Planning Major, including successful completion of HGP 310  and HGP 315  (or equivalent), and who present a Faculty Grade Point Average of at least 2.3, an opportunity for extended, paid work experience. The placement lasts for four, eight or 12 months, and, after completing the reporting requirements, a student can receive university credit for the experience. The Work Experience designation will appear on the degree parchments of students who have successfully completed the placement. During the placement, students are considered full-time students of the University. Work experience courses have no weight and are graded credit/no credit, and recorded on the student's transcript. The Work Experience Program Advisor maintains contact at approximately three month intervals with the student and the person designated by the employer to be responsible for the student's progress. This arrangement ensures satisfaction on all sides. If the review shows the situation is not satisfactory, the placement may be terminated and the student would then return to classes at the next available opportunity. The graduation requirement for the Work Experience program designation includes successful completion of a least WKEXP 801  and WKEXP 802  plus INT D 401 . INT D 401  must be taken in the term immediately following completion of the WKEXP period.