Aug 05, 2021
The Bachelor of Commerce Degree (General), the Bilingual Bachelor of Commerce and the Bachelor of Commerce Honors are each four year degree programs that consists of ★120 with specific degree requirements.
Students may not normally take coursework extra to the ★120 needed to meet the Bachelor of Commerce degree requirements.
The degree includes a foundational year completed at the Faculty of Business for students admitted directly through high school to the Faculty of Business; or at the University of Alberta or approved postsecondary institution for postsecondary transfer students.
Students transferring into the program after their first year will receive a minimum of ★24 and a maximum of ★60 in transfer credit. At least ★60 in University of Alberta courses must be successfully completed while the student is registered in the Faculty of Business.
The Bachelor of Commerce (After Degree) allows students with a degree from an approved postsecondary institution to obtain a Bachelor of Commerce Degree on completion of between ★45 to ★60 depending on the number of course exemptions and the specific requirements of the chosen Major.
Students participating in Cooperative Education complete an additional requirement of three work terms that add an additional year to the program.
Courses in the Faculty of Business
Courses in the Faculty of Business fall into six categories:
- Foundational Requirements: ECON 101 , ECON 102 , MATH 154 or equivalent, STAT 161 or equivalent, ★6 in junior level English which includes any 100-level ENGL and a maximum of ★3 in WRS. For post-secondary transfers, completion of these courses or their equivalents is normally a prerequisite to admission to any of the BCom programs. Where a student is deficient in any of these requirements, probationary admission may be granted if the deficient course(s) is/are made up in the first year the student is registered in the Faculty of Business.
- Primary Core: BUS 101 or equivalent, ACCTG 311 , SEM 310 , MARK 301 , FIN 301 , MGTSC 312 . These courses or their equivalents are required for all BCom students and are normally taken as a cohort in Year Two, with the exception of BUS 101 which is normally taken in Year One.
- Secondary Core: ACCTG 322 , BTM 311 , B LAW 301 , OM 352 , BUEC 311 , BUEC 479 , SEM 441 .
- Senior Business Electives: All courses at the 400-level offered by the Faculty of Business, and courses at the 300-level where these are not part of the Primary core. Secondary core courses not required to fulfil major or program requirements are also acceptable as Senior Business electives. Individual departments may deem other courses acceptable as substitutes for Senior Business courses. ECON 281 is permitted as a substitute for BUEC 311 in many majors. See Policy on Elective Courses (3) below.
- Electives Outside Business: Any course offered by the University of Alberta in any Faculty except Business.
- Free Electives: Any course offered by the University of Alberta in any Faculty including Business.
Policy on Elective Courses
- Students may receive credit in no more than ★21 of junior-level electives whether taken at the University of Alberta or presented for transfer credit. This total does not include the foundational courses or junior courses taken to fulfil specific program or major requirements.
- The Faculty of Business strongly urges students in the BCom programs to choose electives outside Business to complement their major areas of specialization.
- Students in many majors are permitted a choice between BUEC 311 and ECON 281 to satisfy major requirements. Students intending to proceed to senior-level work in Economics should take ECON 281 , as BUEC 311 may not be accepted as a prerequisite for higher level ECON courses. Please consult with the Department of Economics directly regarding ECON course prerequisites. Students who have already received credit for ECON 281 may not take BUEC 311 for credit.
Minors for Business Students
Majors in Business
Students in the Bachelor of Commerce Program must declare a major from the selection below and then follow the specific course requirements of the major. All degree requirements must be met within ★120.
Sequence of Courses – Year 1 Foundational Year
For students admitted directly from High School.
- Students admitted directly from High School will take BUS 101 in their first year in the Faculty of Business and will replace BUS 201 in Year 2 of the major specific sequencing with ★3 in electives outside of Business.