The Department of Drama offers a program leading to the Degree of Bachelor of Fine Arts in Drama.
Program-Specific Admission Requirements:
In addition to the specific admission requirements, a nonrefundable deposit toward tuition fees, on official notification of acceptance, will be required of successful applicants.
Program Requirements for BFA in Drama
Students must successfully complete the specialization in Acting or Production.
There are three routes in the BFA in Drama (Production): Design, Stage Management and Technical Production.
The following are the required courses in recommended sequence:
- To be promoted to the next year, students will normally need a minimum grade point average of 2.3 and Departmental recommendation.
- Departmental recommendation for promotion may be withheld when a student receives a grade of less than B- in any of the following required courses in their respective program
- Acting: DRAMA 334 , DRAMA 335 , DRAMA 344 , DRAMA 345 , DRAMA 355 , DRAMA 356 , DRAMA 358 , DRAMA 393 , DRAMA 399 , DRAMA 434 , DRAMA 435 , DRAMA 444 , DRAMA 445 , DRAMA 455 , DRAMA 456 , DRAMA 458 , DRAMA 499
- Design: DRAMA 290 , T DES 170 , T DES 172 , T DES 173 , T DES 270 , T DES 271 , T DES 272 , T DES 273 , T DES 275 , T DES 278 , T DES 370 , T DES 372 , T DES 373 , T DES 374 , T DES 375 , T DES 376 , T DES 378 , T DES 470 , T DES 471 , T DES 473 , T DES 474 , T DES 475 , T DES 477 , T DES 478 , T DES 492
- Stage Management: T DES 170 , T DES 172 , T DES 173 , T DES 373 , DRAMA 290 , DRAMA 291 , DRAMA 292 , DRAMA 296 , DRAMA 298 , DRAMA 299 , DRAMA 392 , DRAMA 395 , DRAMA 494 , DRAMA 577 , DRAMA 590 , DRAMA 596
- Technical Production: T DES 170 , T DES 172 , T DES 173 , T DES 272 , T DES 372 , T DES 373 , DRAMA 290 , DRAMA 291, DRAMA 292, DRAMA 295 , DRAMA 296 , DRAMA 298 , DRAMA 299, DRAMA 392 , DRAMA 394 , DRAMA 490 , DRAMA 492 , DRAMA 498 , DRAMA 577 , DRAMA 590
- A student failing to receive Departmental recommendation for promotion at the end of any term of the second or third year, or failing to achieve a minimum GPA of 2.3 at the end of any Fall/Winter, may be required by the Faculty of Arts to withdraw from the BFA in Drama program immediately. Students who are required to withdraw may apply for transfer to another program in the Faculty if entrance requirements for the chosen program are met.
- Final-year requirements include a minimum grade point average of 2.3 and Departmental recommendation.
- Students who fail to meet the final year requirements in the program will be permitted to fulfil this requirement only with the approval of the Dean of Arts on the recommendation of the Department; otherwise, they must withdraw from the program and may apply for transfer to another program in the Faculty.
- A Bachelor of Fine Arts program may be interrupted only with Departmental consent.
Students must complete the BFA in Drama (Acting) or a BFA in Drama (Production) program as full-time students, in a full course load, at the University of Alberta.
- To qualify for the Bachelor of Fine Arts in Drama, students must have successfully completed the curriculum for the chosen area of specialization; have met all promotion, continuation, final year, and residence requirements; and receive the recommendation of the department.
- For the degree of BFA With Distinction, candidates are required to carry a full course load in each of the last two years and obtain a grade point average of 3.5 or higher over those last two years. Students who have taken part of their program at another university may be granted a degree "With Distinction" at the discretion of the Faculty.