Jun 13, 2024  
University of Alberta Calendar 2016-2017 
University of Alberta Calendar 2016-2017 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Classification of Students

Return to: University Regulations and Information for Students 



Undergraduate and Graduate Students

  1. Undergraduate students are those who are registered at the University of Alberta in a Faculty other than the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research or the Faculty of Extension. Undergraduate students may be registered as full- or part-time students.
  • Full-time students are those who are registered for credit in ★9 or more in one term.
  • Part-time students are those who are registered for credit in fewer than ★9 in one term.
  1. A detailed classification of graduate students will be found in Classification of Graduate Students  of the Graduate Studies and Research section of this Calendar.

Classification of Undergraduate Students

  1. Degree, Diploma, or Certificate Program Students are those who are registered in a GFC approved program leading to a degree, diploma, or certificate granted by the University of Alberta.
  2. Probationary Students are students who have been admitted (or permitted to continue) in a Faculty on a probationary basis, because their previous academic record is either deficient in some respect, below the standard ordinarily required, or difficult to assess. Normally, if such students fail to meet the conditions stipulated within the time limit imposed, they will not be allowed to proceed further in their program.
  3. Special Students are those who have been permitted to register in one or more courses which are not being taken for credit towards a degree or diploma at this or any other institution.
  4. Open Studies Students are students registered in selected credit courses but who are not following a specific degree or diploma program.
  5. Visiting Students are bona fide students of other universities or colleges who have been permitted to take one or more courses for transfer of credit to their own institutions which have agreed in advance to such an arrangement.
  6. Exchange Students: this term is used to describe students who are participating in a formal exchange program between the University of Alberta and another postsecondary institution. Incoming exchange students from other institutions are normally classified as Visiting Students for the period of the exchange. Outgoing University of Alberta exchange students remain classified in their ongoing program and register in an Exchange course (EXCH) for the period of the exchange.
  7. Audit Only Students (Auditors) are those registered in one or more courses, exclusively on a not-for-credit basis.

Students in the Faculty of Extension

Faculty of Extension students are those registered in any of that Faculty’s courses. These courses may or may not lead to degree, diploma, certificate or citation credit.

Spring/Summer Courses

The University of Alberta offers a wide selection of courses during the Spring Term and Summer Term for the convenience of students who are unable to attend Fall/Winter courses, and for continuing students who wish to supplement their regular programs. Information about Spring/Summer courses is available in mid-December.

Further information can be obtained by contacting the Office of the Registrar at (780) 492-3113.