Oct 26, 2021
Performance studies are offered in piano, voice, strings and selected other instruments, as well as routes in piano pedagogy and wind band conducting.
Students must complete a minimum of ★24 in graduate-level course work. Completion of a thesis-equivalent is also required.
- MUSIC 621 (★6) - Applied Music OR
MUSIC 632 (★6) - Advanced Wind Band Conducting for Wind Band Conducting majors
- MUSIC 639 (★3) - Chamber Music OR
MUSIC 631 (★3) - Advanced Band Techniques for Wind Band Conducting majors
- Five ★3 graduate-level options
- Options must include one course (★3) in which a major paper is required
- MMus students whose area of concentration is Organ may complete ★3 in an approved music option in lieu of MUSIC 639
- All MMus Performance students concentrating in band or orchestral instruments (not including Wind Band Conducting majors) are required to take MUSIC 641 (★3)- Instrumental Ensemble as one of their options.
- All MMus Performance students concentrating in Wind Band Conducting are required to take MUSIC 643 as one of their options.
- At the discretion of the supervisor, MMus students may be required to take MUSIC 625 as one of their options.
- All MMUS Performance students concentrating in Piano Pedagogy are required to take MUSIC 603, 604 and 625 as three of their option courses.
- At the discretion of the supervisor, students who have not taken a bibliography and research methods course (or equivalent) will be required to take MUSIC 505 . The fulfillment of this requirement will count as one of the approved options.
- At the discretion of the supervisor, further coursework may be required.
- Registration in 900-level THES.
- For performance a juried recital will be considered the equivalent of the thesis and final oral examination.
- Students concentrating in Piano Pedagogy may present a juried recital or a Lecture-Recital
- For students concentrating in Wind Band Conducting, four conducting performances will be presented over the course of the program and will be considered the equivalent of the thesis. An audio/video recording of the performances will be viewed by the examining committee. Links to audio/video streaming sites are acceptable.
- For program completion and convocation, there is no requirement to submit the thesis-equivalent to FGSR.
For students concentrating in Wind Band Conducting proficiency in an approved second language is required.
The minimum period of residence for the MMus degree is two four-month terms of full-time attendance at the University of Alberta.
Length of Program
The time required to complete the program will vary according to the previous training of the applicant and the nature of the research undertaken; however, a minimum of two years is normally required.
The maximum time to complete the MMus program as set by the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research is four years.