The Bachelor of Music program consists of ★122 in Performance-Based Pedagogy major, including ★64-67 of core music requirements, ★25-28 in a Comprehensive, Conducting, Keyboard, or Voice stream of study, and ★30 of non-music requirements.
Students registered in a BMus program must complete at least 60 credits offered by the Augustana Faculty, at least 54 of which must be at the senior level. However,
- Language or other study abroad may, with special permission of the Associate Dean, Academics, count toward the residence requirement
- An exception to this may be granted to students already holding a BA or BSc who can transfer sufficient credits from their first degree to be able to complete the requirements of the Bachelor of Music degree in fewer than ★60. Normally in such cases at least the final ★45 must be completed at Augustana.
The Bachelor of Music, Performance-Based Pedagogy major, provides study and performance concentrations in voice, keyboard, conducting and comprehensive streams, with broad possibilities for exploration in performance, music education, music therapy, arts administration and musicology. The wide-ranging curriculum, with extensive performance and pedagogical opportunities, equips students for successful careers as performing artists or as teachers of studio, classroom or choral.
[Effective October 2020, there will be no further admission to the Bachelor of Music Comprehensive, Piano or Voice majors. Students who entered the Bachelor of Music program prior to October 2020 must complete all program requirements by April 30, 2025. The last degree with these specific majors will be granted at Spring Convocation 2025.
Continuing students must refer to the Calendar under which they were admitted for program, promotion and graduation requirements.]
See Augustana Faculty . Each student who wishes to be exempt from taking AUMUS 100 must complete the Music Theory Placement Exam (MTPE); a student who scores lower than 70% must register in AUMUS 100. All successful applicants will complete a general first year within the Comprehensive stream, and a further audition to specific BMus streams (Comprehensive, Conducting, Keyboard, and Voice) will take place at the end of the first year of BMus study. For further information about entrance into the Music program, contact the Department of Fine Arts and Humanities, Augustana Faculty.
The minimum of ★122 required during the program is drawn from three areas: Core Music Requirements, Additional Music Requirements according to stream of study, and Non-Music Requirements.
Core Music Requirements (★64-67):
A common core of music courses and requirements is required of every student enrolled in the Bachelor of Music program.
- Passing grade in the Keyboard Skills Proficiency Examination (KSPE).
- Successful completion of the Recital Attendance Requirement (RAR). For every year in a Music program at Augustana, a student must attend a minimum of 10 RAR-designated events per year. Failure to achieve this minimum in a given year will require withdrawal from any Music program (BMus or BA). A minimum of 40 recitals or concerts is required for graduation, unless transferring in from another institution or program.
- A student who fails to achieve at least a C+ standing in a primary instrument or voice at the end of an academic year will be required to withdraw from the Bachelor of Music program. Each student's progress will be reviewed annually. Such students may transfer to another program in Augustana Faculty or in another Faculty if the entrance and promotion requirements for such a program are met. After transfer, all requirements for the new program must be met.
- A student beyond first year who fails to achieve an academic average of at least 2.3 will be required to withdraw from the Bachelor of Music program. Such students may transfer to another program in Augustana Faculty or in another Faculty if the entrance and promotion requirements for such a program are met. After transfer, all requirements for the new program must be met. Each student's progress will be reviewed annually.
Music Performance (★25-28)
- ★16 Applied Music: students in the Conducting or Voice stream will complete this requirement in voice; students in the Keyboard stream will complete this requirement in piano; students in the Comprehensive stream may choose from a variety of solo instruments. Note: Consult Department of Fine Arts and Humanities for details.
- Choral and/or Instrumental Ensembles (★9-12):
Music History and Literature, Music in Society (★12):
Theoretical and Analytical Studies, Musicianship Skills (★24) credits:
Additional Music Requirements According to Major (★25-28):
In addition to the Core Music Requirements listed above, additional courses are required in each stream. Students in the Keyboard and Voice streams have the option of completing a public recital in their 4th year of study:
Non-Music Requirements (★30):
The Augustana Core: ★18
The Augustana Core requirement is met by the completion of the following courses:
All students must complete AUIDS 101. Bachelor of Music students may be granted permission to opt out of the remainder of the Augustana Core in order to explore other pathways of study. Students interested in this route should consult the Department of Fine Arts and Humanities for details.
- Any second language. Note: A Voice stream student must include ★3 in German.