Sep 17, 2021
Students are required to complete a minimum of ★9 in coursework and a thesis.
- PSYCI 511 unless explicitly exempt
- Coursework will be specified by the Supervisory Committee.
- Courses may be taken from the Department of Psychiatry or from outside the department, with permission.
- Additional coursework may be required.
- Registration in 900-level THES.
Students are required to prepare and defend a thesis based on research conducted.
Students are required to participate in Grand Rounds, and must make one oral presentation per academic year.
Students are required to participate in the annual Psychiatry Research Day.
Thesis Proposal and Candidacy Exam
Within the first two years of the PhD program, students must submit a written thesis proposal document which will be evaluated by the Student's Supervisory Committee.
The candidacy examination is to be held within three years of the commencement of the PhD program when most, if not all, of the course work is completed and the research project is started or well defined.
Students may complete the ethics requirement by
- Participating in the bi-annual Ethics and Scientific Integrity day with department approval, and
- Participating in the Graduate Ethics Training (GET) course offered by FGSR.
There is no second language requirement for the PhD.
Length of Program
The time required to complete the program will vary according to the previous training of the applicant and the nature of the research undertaken; however, a minimum of three years is normally required.
The maximum time to complete the PhD program as set by the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research is six years.