The Faculty of Education offers graduate programs in Elementary Education leading to degrees of Master of Education, Doctor of Education (EdD) and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD). Please see the Faculty of Education website for more information about current faculty members’ research interest(s) and teaching area(s).
For master’s programs, the minimum admission requirements are an undergraduate degree equivalent to a BEd degree with an admission GPA of at least 3.0 on the 4-point scale, or an equivalent qualification and standing from a recognized institution. The admission GPA will be calculated on the last 60 units of graded coursework completed, or on the equivalent of the last two years of full-time graded coursework.
Applicants to the MEd programs must also have a valid teaching certificate, and at least one year of successful teaching experience at the early childhood, elementary or middle classroom level (student teaching and substitute teaching do not qualify).
For doctoral programs, the minimum admission requirements are an MEd degree from the University of Alberta with an admission GPA of at least 3.3 on the 4-point scale, or an equivalent qualification and standing from a recognized institution. The admission GPA will be calculated on the last 60 units of graded coursework completed, or on the equivalent of the last two years of full-time graded coursework. Under certain circumstances it is possible to enter with the equivalent of the BEd degree, but in such instances potential candidates may be required to complete additional course requirements.
Applicants to the doctoral programs also require at least one year of successful teaching experience at the early childhood, elementary or middle classroom level (student teaching and substitute teaching do not qualify.)
Where applicable, applicants must provide proof of English Language Proficiency (refer to English Language Requirement ). Any one of the following is acceptable:
- a minimum TOEFL score of 93 (Internet-based) with a minimum of 24 on the speaking and writing and 21 on reading and listening bands of the test, or equivalent;
- IELTS with a minimum overall band score of 7.0, with at least 6.5 on each band;
- CAEL with an overall minimum score of 70, with at least 60 on each subtest.
All applicants are also required to submit the following:
- Current curriculum vitae (resumé) portraying scholarly studies and professional educational activities, such as teaching, curriculum development, consulting, etc.;
- Statement of intent describing reasons for wanting to pursue advanced study in Elementary Education. Applicants to the EdD and PhD should also describe the area of scholarship that they intend to pursue. (500 words approximately);
- Three letters of reference from persons qualified to comment on the applicant’s academic work and potential for graduate study. It is highly recommended that one or more letters be from persons at the institution last attended;
- Applicants to the EdD and PhD programs must submit a sample of written work.
Applicants to the MEd with a specialization in Curriculum and Pedagogy should indicate on their application if they wish to be part of a cohort. See the Faculty website for further information.
Application deadlines are March 1 for master’s programs and December 1 for doctoral programs.
Laddering into the Master of Education (Elementary Education) or the Master of Education with a specialization in Curriculum and Pedagogy (Elementary Education)
Students who complete the Graduate Certificate in Educational Studies or the Graduate Certificate in School Leadership from the Faculty of Education may be able to use the courses from one of the graduate certificates noted above to receive 12 units in advanced standing in this program.
Completion of the certificate does not guarantee admission to a master’s degree program. The certificate may be used for both the basis of admission and laddered into the course-based master degree. Details on laddering can be found in the Calendar under Regulations of the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research .