Return to: Faculty of Business
Who We Are
The University of Alberta Faculty of Business, also known as the School of Business, is an award-winning Faculty and a very proud member of the University of Alberta team. We are within striking distance of our goal-to be recognized among the top one percent of business schools in the world.
We are building on a proud history of achievement. Since 1916, when it was established as a School of Accountancy, the Faculty of Business has trained good men and women who are equipped to manage public and private organizations across the globe. Our 15,000 alumni make their mark in Canada and around the world.
What We Do
We are a "full service" business school offering undergraduate, master's and PhD degrees. The varied disciplines covered by these degrees are grouped into four departments:
- Accounting, Operations and Information Systems
- Finance and Statistical Analysis
- Marketing, Business Economics and Law
- Strategic Management and Organization
We offer BCom majors in traditional and newer areas of study as well as specialty niches. You can take your BCom in one of our specialized language programs: East Asian Studies, European Studies, Latin American Studies or International Business. You can take your Bilingual BCom in partnership with Faculté Saint-Jean. You can take your BCom and gain valuable experience through our Cooperative Education program. Programs with other Faculties allow students to minor in business or take joint degrees.
Our MBA program includes specializations in Natural Resources, Energy and Environment, Finance, Leisure and Sport Management, Technology Commercialization, and International Business. We offer joint MBA degree programs with the Faculties of Law, Engineering, and Agricultural, Life and Environmental Sciences. We offer a joint Executive MBA program with the University of Calgary.
Our PhD program attracts outstanding students globally. Our PhD graduates are teaching at universities around the world including Berkeley, the Australian Graduate School of Management and Carnegie-Mellon.
Faculty Awards and Accomplishments
Our culture of research and teaching could not happen without award-winning faculty. Outstanding research puts some departments among the top 50 in North America and among the top one or two business schools in Canada. Faculty awards and accomplishments include:
- four 3M Teaching Fellowships. No other business school in Canada has more than one.
- ranked 35th in the world in research by the Financial Times of London's ranking of top 100 business schools; ranked among the top 50 business schools worldwide in terms of research in a recent benchmarking exercise undertaken by the University of British Columbia
- 2 National Post Leaders in Management Education Award
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada
- Fellow of the Academy of Management
- First Canadian Business School accredited by the AACSB
- Distinguished Scholar Award - Academy of Management
- three Killam Annual Professorships; two Kaplan Awards
- Erhan Erkut - First Vargo Professor of Teaching
Student Awards and Accomplishments
- MBA students: Silver Medal winners of the 2006 MBA Games and host of the 2007 MBA Games
- Undergraduate students: Winners of the 2011 Manitoba International Marketing Competition (U of Manitoba)
- Winners of the John Molsen Undergraduate Case Competition (McGill) 2011
- Top Undergraduate School Rotman International trading Competition (U of Toronto) 2011-2012 Host School of JDC West