Nov 30, 2023
The Department of Music and the Faculty of Education offer two five-year integrated programs of 162 units each, leading to the degrees of Bachelor Music and Bachelor of Education (Elementary), and Bachelor of Music and Bachelor of Education (Secondary).
Piano Proficiency Examination:
Students entering the BMus/BEd Combined Degrees program who are not electing a keyboard instrument as a first practical subject will be asked to take a keyboard proficiency examination covering basic technical materials and sight-reading [approximately Grade 4 Conservatory Canada (previously Western Board)]. The requirement may be waived upon presentation of a Grade 6 Conservatory Canada certificate, or equivalent, earned within three years prior to entering the program. Students who choose not to take the examination or are unable to pass the examination can satisfy this requirement by successfully completing MUSIC 129 in the first year. The keyboard proficiency requirement must be met by the beginning of the second year of the program.
Year 1 (33 units) Taken in the Faculty of Arts
Year 2 (33 units) Taken in the Faculty of Arts
3 units from
- MUSIC 186 - Musical Life Today must be taken by those students who have failed the Piano Proficiency Examination.
- MUSIC option (3 units) must be taken by those students who have passed the Piano Proficiency Examination
- The Language Other than English (6 units) requirement can be replaced with MUSIC, Arts, or Science Option (6 units) for students who have:
- successfully completed a Language Other than English at the 30-level (or equivalent), or
- been required to take an English Language Proficiency test for admission
Year 3 (33 units) Taken in the Faculty of Arts
Year 4 (33 units) Taken in the Faculty of Education
Students should refer to their individual Program Sheet for proper course sequencing.
Year 5 (30 units) Taken in the Faculty of Education
Field Experience Terms (30 units)
Courses taken in the Field Experience Terms are normally taken concurrently.
Introductory Professional Term (15 units) [Must take this in Fall Term]
Advanced Practical Term (15 units) [Must take this in Winter Term]
Promotion in the BMus/BEd Combined Degrees Programs
- To be eligible to continue in the program, students will normally need a minimum GPA of 2.3 each Fall/Winter.
- Successful completion of the program requirements includes a cumulative grade point average of 2.3 on all courses completed in the program.
- Students are required to complete at least 33 units during each Fall/Winter in every year except Year 4 where 30 units is required. A reduced course load to 24 units requires only the approval of the Department of Music; a course load of less than 24 units requires the approval of both Faculties and is based on a recommendation from the Department of Music.
- Students who fail to meet the requirements for promotion are required to withdraw from the BMus/BEd Combined Degrees program. Such students may transfer to another program in the Faculty of Arts, the Faculty of Education or another Faculty, if entrance and promotion requirements for such a program are met. After transfer, all requirements for the new program must be met.
- Students who fail to meet the fifth-year requirements in the program are permitted to fulfil those requirements only with the approval of the Faculty of Arts and the Faculty of Education upon the recommendation of the Department of Music. Otherwise, students must withdraw from the program, and, if so desired, transfer to another program in the Faculty of Arts or Education for which they are able to meet entrance and promotion requirements.
- The BMus/BEd Combined Degrees program may be interrupted only with the prior consent of the Department of Music, the Faculty of Arts, and the Faculty of Education. Readmission and continuation will be subject to any conditions, including reauditioning and new program requirements, that may be specified by the Department of Music, the Faculty of Arts, and the Faculty of Education.
- All qualified Year 3 BMus/BEd Combined Degrees students will be promoted to Year 4 in the Faculty of Education provided that
- a minimum AGPA of 2.3 has been achieved, and
- a minimum of 99 units applicable to this program has been successfully completed.
Note: Students in Year 3 who have completed less than 99 units toward the BMus/BEd Combined Degrees but have achieved an AGPA of at least 2.3 may select one of two alternatives:
- remain in Year 3 of this program in the Faculty of Arts for one additional year;
- apply to enter one of the other Bachelor of Music routes.
- A student who has been assigned a grade of “W” or “NC” in an Education Field Experience course is entitled to a second registration in this course. See also Reregistration in Courses. Notwithstanding Reregistration in Courses, if a student receives a “W” or “NC” in the second attempt of a Field Experience course, they will be required to withdraw from the Combined Degrees program.
- Students proceeding toward the BMus/BEd Combined Degrees program must normally have credit in at least 96 units offered by the University of Alberta.
- Students who take part of their final 60 units at another postsecondary institution must seek the approval of the Department of Music, the Faculty of Arts, and the Faculty of Education.
- To qualify for the Bachelor of Music/Bachelor of Education Combined Degrees, students must successfully complete relevant curriculum requirements, meet the promotion, final year and residence requirements, and receive the recommendation of the Department of Music, the Faculty of Arts, and the Faculty of Education.
- Degrees With Distinction shall be awarded to students who achieve a grade point average of 3.5 or more, both on all of the units of course weight credited to the program and on all of the units of course weight in Music. In the case that transfer or other students have attempted, as part of their program, courses at another institution, the Degree “With Distinction” will be awarded at the discretion of the Faculties.