Nov 30, 2023
The Certificate in Interdisciplinary Leadership Studies will provide undergraduate students with opportunities for learning that will forge leadership skills and competences through academic courses and cocurricular programming which engages experiential learning, a diverse range of leadership styles, and commitment to ethical behavior and social responsibility. Undergraduates will also have access to excellence in mentorship by individuals with proven leadership qualities in the local, national and international communities. The certificate will be available to all undergraduate students.
Undergraduate students may apply to pursue the Certificate in Interdisciplinary Leadership Studies by meeting the following requirements:
- Submitting the application form and all supporting documents by the application deadline.
- Applications must be accompanied by
- a resume
- a letter of intent
- a copy of the students’ up-to-date transcript
- at least one letter of reference. Letters of reference should focus on the applicant’s character, ability to engage with and commit to the values of the Peter Lougheed Leadership College.
- Students must normally have completed a minimum of ★24 and a maximum of ★84 towards their degree including courses in progress during the Winter Term in which they apply;
- After-Degree students will be considered on a case-by-case basis depending on the room they have in their programs to accommodate the Certificate;
- Students must be in satisfactory academic standing in their degree program at the time of application;
- Students must be current University of Alberta undergraduate students, or transfer students who have been accepted to an undergraduate degree program at the University of Alberta.
- Students who do not meet one or more of the above eligibility requirements, but are interested in applying, are encouraged to contact the Peter Lougheed Leadership College to discuss a potential application.
The Peter Lougheed Leadership College Admissions Committee is created by the Peter Lougheed Leadership College with the advice and consent of the Faculty of Business. Limited space exists in the Certificate in Interdisciplinary Leadership Studies. Priority will be given to applicants who meet the above eligibility requirements. At the discretion of the Peter Lougheed Leadership College Admissions Committee, other applicants will be considered.
- Applications of all eligible students will be evaluated and students will be shortlisted for interviews based on the criteria in Eligibility Requirements above.
- Recommendations for acceptance will be made by Peter Lougheed Leadership College Admissions Committee on the basis of the capacity of the student to succeed academically,
- the capacity of the student to work in an interdisciplinary and team focused setting, and
- the student’s commitment to the values of the Peter Lougheed Leadership College as demonstrated in their letter of intent.
- The Peter Lougheed Leadership College Admissions Committee will also be concerned to ensure a broad diversity of students in the Certificate to reflect the diversity of the University community overall, including diverse disciplines and fields of study.
- The Peter Lougheed Leadership College Admissions Committee will recommend to the Faculty of Business the names of students to be admitted to the Certificate.
Students are required to complete all of the requirements for their degree program. In addition to those requirements, students will successfully complete the following courses:
Normally, these courses will be completed within the two years following acceptance to the certificate.
Students will also complete a stretch experience which takes place between Year One and Year Two of the program during Spring/Summer. This consists of a minimum of 200 hours of leadership-related activities. Stretch experiences will be approved by the Faculty of Business following a recommendation by the Peter Lougheed Leadership College.
Once accepted to the Certificate, students will be guaranteed the ability to complete the certificate requirements within their original program provided they remain in good standing.
Continuation, Academic Standing and Completion
- A Certificate student must normally successfully complete the two required courses in the first year of the program April 21, 2016 and the summer stretch experience to be permitted to continue in the second year.
- A Certificate student may request a leave of absence for up to one year from the Certificate for personal reasons, including medical reasons or the pursuit of other legitimate and useful opportunities. All such requests must be approved by the Peter Lougheed Leadership College Admissions Committee.
- Students must maintain satisfactory academic standing in their home Faculty, and successfully fulfill all the academic requirements of their primary program including conditions or limitations placed upon them because of participation in the Certificate.
- Normally, a failure to maintain satisfactory academic standing, or a failure to fulfill the conditions or limitations of their home Faculty, or a failure to successfully complete any of the required courses in the Certificate will mean the student will be required to withdraw from the Certificate. Such decisions will be made by the Faculty of Business in consultation with the Peter Lougheed Leadership College, the Academic Oversight Committee and the home Faculty of the student.
- Students who have failed any of the required courses may appeal that failure in accordance with the appeal regulations of the Faculty hosting the course. Decisions made by Faculties in grade appeals are final.
- Students who have failed to maintain satisfactory academic standing in their primary program may appeal according to the appeal regulations of their home Faculty.
- Students who have failed to successfully complete the stretch experience or who are being required to withdraw from the Certificate for reasons other than (b) above, may appeal that decision to the Business Faculty Appeals Committee in accordance with its appeal regulations.
- A student may have a further right of appeal to the GFC Academic Appeals Committee in the event of an appeal involving continuation in the Certificate. The GFC Academic Appeals Committee may only entertain and uphold an appeal if a miscarriage of justice has occurred.
- Students will receive the Certificate in Interdisciplinary Leadership Studies upon completion of all program requirements for their primary degree program and the successful completion of all courses in the certificate program.
This is an embedded certificate; the certificate will only be awarded when the degree is awarded.