Jan 20, 2022
The four year Bachelor of Management in Business Economics consists of ★120 arts, science and professional (see Classification of Courses ) including ★66 in the Business Economics program and the credits required for the Foundation, Engagement and Knowledge components of the Augustana Core. Because of the possibility of overlap between the credits required for portions of the Augustana Core and those required for the Business Economics program, a student may also include options or an optional minor as follows:
Business Economics Program:
★15 in Economics Foundation courses, ★27 in Management Foundation courses, 9 additional senior credits in Economics courses at least 6 of which must be at the 300-level or above, and 9 additional senior credits in Economics or Management at the 300-level or above.
The Augustana Core: Foundation
The Augustana Foundation requirement is met by the completion of one of the following courses:
The Augustana Core: Engagement
Engagement requirements consist of five different categories. A student must complete ★12 from at least three of the five categories up to the maximum indicated; courses which satisfy these requirements may overlap with a student's major:
- Creative & Imaginative Process (maximum ★6)
- Diversity and Global Studies (maximum ★6)
- Environmental Sustainability (maximum ★6)
- Experiential Learning (maximum ★6)
- Integrating Knowledge (maximum ★3)
For more detail on which courses may be counted towards these categories, see Augustana Chart 1 Core Engagement Requirements.
The Augustana Core: Knowledge
The ★21 Breadth of Knowledge requirements consist of four different categories; the ★21 credits counted towards these categories may not overlap with a student's first major:
★3 Fine Arts
★6 Social sciences
For the actual classification of Augustana courses within these categories, see Classification of Courses .
Note: The same credit may not be counted twice in courses that relate to more than one category within the Foundation, Engagement and Knowledge components of the Augustana Core; that is, a total of 36 different credits must be earned to fulfill these requirements.
A minimum of ★18 in one discipline or approved interdisciplinary area, including at least ★12 at the senior level. A student should be aware that it may not be possible to complete certain combinations of majors and minors without extending the time required to earn the degree.
★0-21 (or more, depending on the amount of overlap between the core and the requirements for the major, and/or minor) of the student's choice.
Students registered in a BMgt program must complete at least ★60 offered by the Augustana Faculty, at least ★54 of which must be at the senior level. However,
- Language or other study abroad may, with special permission of the Associate Dean, Academic, count toward the residency requirement.
- An exception to this requirement may be granted to students already holding a BA or BSc who can transfer sufficient credits from their first degree to be able to complete the requirements of the Bachelor of Management in Business Economics degree in fewer than ★60. Normally in such cases at least the final ★45 must be completed at Augustana.
Note: Students transferring into this degree program within the framework of a Faculty-approved transfer agreement must complete ★60 of the final credits of their degree program with credits offered by the Augustana Faculty.
★15 in Economics Foundation
★27 in Management Foundation
★18 in Elective courses
- 9 additional senior credits in Economics, of which ★3 may be at the 200-level.
- 9 additional senior credits in Economics or Management at the 300- or 400-level.
First-Year Program Recommendations