Mar 23, 2018
The Department of Art and Design offers a program leading to the degree of Bachelor of Fine Arts in Art and Design. The required courses and recommended sequencing are detailed in the following chart. Departmental approval is required for all courses selected to fulfil unspecified requirements and options.
Arts/Science options exclude courses offered by the Department of Art and Design.
Year 2 (★33)
- ART 340 - Drawing II
- 200-level HADVC (★6)
- 300-level ART (★12)
- 300-level ART or DES (★6)
- Arts or Science options (★6)
Year 3 (★30)
- HADVC (200- or 300-level) (★3)
- 300- or 400-level ART (★12)
- 300- or 400-level ART or DES (★6)
- Senior Arts or Science options (★6)
★3 Contemporary Art Requirement selected from
Year 4 (★27)
- 300- or 400-level HADVC (★3)
- 500-level ART (★12)
- 300-, 400-, or 500-level ART or DES (★6)
- Senior Arts or Science options and/or HADVC 400-level (★6)
- Senior Arts or Science options and/or HADVC 400-level or HADVC 438: BFA Practicum (★3)
- To be promoted to the next year, students will need a grade point average of at least 2.7 in Fall/Winter, and Departmental recommendation.
- A grade of either D or D+ in a central subject may normally be credited only once in a BFA student's program. For any subsequent ★3 or ★6 in which either D or D+ is received, an alternate ★3 or ★6 approved by the Department must be substituted.
- Final-year requirements include a minimum GPA of 2.7 on the last ★27 taken toward the degree and departmental recommendation.
- Students who are not recommended to continue in the program at the end of the first, second or third year of study must withdraw from the program. Such students may transfer to another program in the Faculty of Arts, except the BDes program, if they meet entrance and promotion requirements for such a program. After transfer, all requirements for the new program must be completed. Readmission to the BFA (Art and Design) or BDes program will only be considered after completion of ★24 in coursework that will meet program requirements in one Fall/Winter with a GPA of 2.7 and a successful portfolio submission. Only one readmission to the BFA (Art and Design) or BDes program following a recommendation not to continue will be considered.
- Students who fail to meet the final-year requirements for the program will be permitted to fulfil those requirements only with the approval of the Department and the Dean of Arts.
- A Bachelor of Fine Arts program may be interrupted only with Departmental consent.
- Students proceeding toward the BFA Art and Design degree must have credit in at least ★60 offered by the University of Alberta.
- A minimum of ★30 must be completed while registered in the BFA Art and Design degree program;
- When enrolled in the BFA Art and Design program, students are required to take a minimum of ★24 during Fall/Winter. The Department may recommend to the Dean exemption from this regulation.
- The 500-level ART (★12) and fourth year 300 or 400-level ART H (★3) program requirements must be taken at the University of Alberta.
- Students may substitute for an Arts or Science option in Year 2 or 3 or 4, up to ★6 of Non-Arts or Non-Science options.
To qualify for the Bachelor of Fine Arts in Art and Design
To qualify for the Bachelor of Fine Arts in Art and Design, students must have successfully completed all program requirements as specified above. Students must also have met all promotion, final-year, and residence requirements and have received the recommendation of the Department.
Degrees With Distinction
Degrees With Distinction are awarded to students who achieve a grade point average of 3.5 or more, on all the units of course weight credited to the program and on all the units of course weight in Art and Design credited to the program. Students who have taken part of their program at another university may be granted a degree With Distinction at the discretion of the Faculty.